Tuesday, May 6, 2014

6.5 months in

I 'm picking up again almost 5 years from my last blog post. So here I am again, 6.5 months in and what I have learned so far:


  • San Francisco is to be referred to as "SF" or "San Francisco" not "Frisco", "San Fran" etc. There's actually a website that explains this quite clearly.
  •  It gets cold at night and for someone that's spent the last 5 years near the equator, a heavy peacoat is always at hand
  • Hipsters exist everywhere in SF and slowly disappear the further south you drive, unless you're near an arts district. 
  • Parallel parking isn't too scary, only if it's on a hill (i hate hills) 
  • There's an app for everything, dating, paying, maps, rides etc. (i even have one for a cupcake shop)
  • "The odds are good but the goods are odd" is a real saying. Still debating if that's true in that context. 
  • I didn't know what a succulent was until I moved here and apparently they grow like weeds but in a cute fat way. 
  • Living in the suburbs sounds like a great idea after living abroad without grass and confined to a tiny apartment but it's lonely cause no one lives close enough
What I've learned in the past 6 months is that there's constantly new things to learn. Whether it be about myself or others, I think God has only revealed the tip of the iceberg as to what His purpose is for me to return to US is for. More importantly I've learned that I'm still dealing with the same issues that I faced when I was in HK which was insecurities in relationships and there really is no way out but to face them head on and grow from what seems like failure.

"But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long month of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8

1 comment:

  1. I cant believe I also commented on the last post 5 years ago and now feeling the same as u. Talk about parallel lives
    Viv

    ReplyDelete